anorexia

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
sula58
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

anorexia

Post by sula58 »

How would this diet (or actually any way of eating) work for people have had anorexia? I know that once the body faces starvation, it will do anything to hold on to fat. Does it stay in this state forever?

That concerns a friend of mine, but as far as I'm concerned: I used to go for long stretches without eating when I was younger--I just forgot to eat, and only when I was dizzy and weak would I eat (my practically only meal of the day). Will my body ever recover from what I've put it through?

I am having no trouble with the diet, but I find myself extremely sensitive to my blood sugar and am wondering if this is a result. Thanks for any responses!
nick

Re: anorexia

Post by nick »

sula58 wrote:How would this diet (or actually any way of eating) work for people have had anorexia?
I know nothing about anorexia from experience, only from what I read.
I know that some people do it because they think they are overwieght, or they use as a way to control something in their life through their diet.

With this diet, you'll go back to your natural set point wieght, so as long as people can understand the difference between eating healthily and overeating then perhaps they will be able to get over that mental barrier( where all food make you fat). Also, you will gain control of your cravings and it is harder to binge and overeat on fruits. You also will be able to listen to your body much better, which is helpful in knowing what you need. As long you properly follow the diet and the longer you do it, you will be in control and satisfying your body's nutrient needs.
I know that once the body faces starvation, it will do anything to hold on to fat. Does it stay in this state forever?
Probably, as it is in your bodies best interest to stay alive, and by holding its fat stores and increasing cravings it will be a back and forth game of eating just enough. Yet, some do persist and die from it.
That concerns a friend of mine, but as far as I'm concerned: I used to go for long stretches without eating when I was younger--I just forgot to eat, and only when I was dizzy and weak would I eat (my practically only meal of the day). Will my body ever recover from what I've put it through?
I would think so. Our bodies have amazing healing abilities. But it takes time, depending on the problem.
I am having no trouble with the diet, but I find myself extremely sensitive to my blood sugar and am wondering if this is a result. Thanks for any responses!
By sensitive, what do you mean? Do you have sugar-lows?

I found the first month of this diet a struggle in 'listening' to my sugar-level. Have you tried different sugar and oil ratios. Too much oil causes a slowing down for me, so in general I need less and little bit more sugar.

You should different combinations and see how it makes you feel.

Post by Guest »

Thanks, Nick!

My best friend was anorexic and is now having trouble staying slim, obviously. I have recommended this diet to her, and she's trying it. I just didn't know whether or not she would ever get her "normal" set-point body weight back.

I was just curious about the blood-sugar question because I feel like I'm unusually "sensitive," both before the diet and currently. If I don't get my sugar every half-hour, watch out! And nobody I know seems to react so dramatically! Oh well...I don't have to worry about that anymore on this diet, so it's cool.

:)
sula58

Post by sula58 »

that was me!
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Good luck to your friend x x x

I didn't have annorexia but I did eat just fruit for 6 months which had a similar affect on my body. It made it impossible for me to eat normal amounts without getting fat. Years and years later that still hasn't changed. Fortunately on a 100% raw diet you need less amounts of food - firstly because raw food is more nutrient dense and
secondly because your assimilation rate goes up. When we eat cooked food our bodies adapt to it by (look away now if you're squeamish and you probably know this anyway) coating our intestines with a thick layer of mucus. This protects our bodies from cooked food and prevents most of the poison from being absorbed. Unfortunately it also prevents most of the nutrients from being absorbed. When you eat mostly raw food your body produces less mucus and so you absorb more nutrients. When you eat 100% raw food the mucus goes away completely, and you absorb a lot more nutrients. So you need a lot less food.
So yes a raw food diet is the best for somebody trying to recover from annorexia. :)
I don't know whether her body will ever return to her normal "set point" though, mine never has :(
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I think if someone with anorexia could be convinced that fruits wont make them fat it could be a great diet. I've (until semi recently) never had a problem with gaining weight, but about five years ago I put on 20 lbs. I went from a 30 inch waist to a 34-36 (depending on the pants). Went from 145-150 to 170.

I tried working out with weights. I thought putting on muscle mass would make me burn more calories while at reast. I tried running, biking, swiming. Yoga... nnothing worked.

Finally I just lowered my calories, which was hard. I dropped down to 160. I was then really cautous not to gain weight back.

I made a decission to (on faith) trust what I read here about not gaining weigh ton fruit. (I used to think banans would could cause weight gain). I went a week eating as much as I wanted (from this diet's recommendations). I mean I was literally never hungry. Many bannanas everyday, lots of nuts, other fruits, sashimi, yolks. I felt great the whole week.

And at the end when I weighed my self (the moment of truth) I hadn't gained any wieght. I didn't lose weight, but my goal for that week was to eat as much as I wanted and not gain weight.

Now I don't have to look at the clock and make it to the next meal.

Back to my main point. If a person with anorexia could come to believe there was no risk of getting fat on tis diet, I think that would put them in a safe place.
sula58

Post by sula58 »

Thanks Cairidh and Johndela1! That was very helpful.

Yes, my friend seems excited about the diet, but I think she is still trying to wrap her mind around the fact that all the "carbs" on the diet aren't going to make her gain weight. And she swears she has a slower metabolism--which, given her past condition, I guess is true to some degree.
nick

Post by nick »

If you eat less then your body will adapt by burning less, so that when you start eating again you be eating over your natural set intake. I don't know if that will recover from the under-eating, but I would hope so.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The 'slower metabolism' is the result of battering your body, putting it in 'the survival mode'.
Luckily, our body has remarkable capacity to recover, so, yes, your body will recover once you are giving it all that it needs again.