Where in the world is everyone from?

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
zazuna
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by zazuna »

Hi all, it is a wonderfully active forum. I am glad it is possible to feel energy from all of the Wai-followers, especially as a beginner.

I am from Kazakhstan (Central Asia, between China, Russia, eh... well I hope you know where it is). I am of mixed origin--Russian and Kazakh.

Now I am finishing my fourth undergraduate year in Bulgaria and in July I plan to move to the US for graduate studies.

Nice to meet you all,
:wink: cheers

Zazuna
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

A very warm welcome to you Zazuna...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Previet :)

Here is a map of Kazachstan for who is interested. :)
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commonwe ... l_2003.jpg

Da zwedania!
Last edited by Oscar on Fri 07 Apr 2006 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Welcome to the forum, Zazuna! What a beautiful name. I haven't heard of your country before! I feel quite ignorant right now - it's quite a large country, too - thanks for the map, Oscar :) I love maps...maybe I should look at them more often! What's your country like, Zazuna? Thanks :D

~Amber
zazuna

Post by zazuna »

Hi RRM, Oscar, Amber and everyone else curious about my country!

Amber, I take your compliment :lol: but zazuna is my nickname. My real name is Masha (Russian version of Mariya). And zazuna is a nickname that my boyfriend gave me--it is Georgian and means one animal, I won't tell which animal for now (nothing like a cat or puppy). Maybe Oscar will also dig it up somewhere 8).

Oscar, I really appreciate the time that you spent on finding the map of my country, it is big and... well spacy, we have just 15 mln people for this territory.:) So, everybody is welcome to visit and stay if you want. haha.

Mainly, my country is doing well after the Soviet Union's break up because of exporting oil. Ethnically, it is a considerable mix, about 50% Kazakhs, 35% Slavs (Russians, Ukrainians, Belorussians), and other minorities, especially many Koreans and Germans who were deported by Stalin 60 years ago.

Well, I can talk a lot about my country. I will better post some photos so that you can all form your own impressions. In return, I would love to see the photos of places where all the rest live.

With love,
Masha
zazuna

Pictures of Kazakhstan

Post by zazuna »

http://www.kazakh.ru/photo/view.phtml?id=0

this wil be easier--the site is in Russian but has many pictures of Kazakhstan, nature, people, food (sorry, mostly cooked)

Enjoy!!!
Saiva

Post by Saiva »

Welcome Masha! :D

Nice to speak to a person from Kazakhstan, it's not every day! :wink:

I have been looking at the pictures, you live in a very beautiful country! Do you have a lot of touristes in Kazakhstan? :)

I hope you will like it here!

//Saiva
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Well Masha,

This is where I live:
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Zazuna?

:)
zazuna

Post by zazuna »

Oh My!!!
Well, I did not expect you to be so fast and even to put up a picture

:oops: yep, that's what my nickname means

I loved the 3D rotating pictures of Amsterdam, the idea is very original. The city itself took my breath away. And bikes everywhere--even more than cars. And lakes, I love lakes! Thanks for sharing, Oscar!

Hello Saiva, thanks, I am happy that you liked the pictures. We do have tourists and there are many tourist agencies that offer their services to foreigners. (maybe you can find something through Google)

oops, I think Google is where Oscar has found the picture. Not fair! :roll:

:D good job, Oscar!
rischott

Post by rischott »

Masha,
Hello! I was just wondering, what percentage of citizens are you are Muslim? I've done a few papers on Uzbekistan and Central Asia as a whole, mostly related to history, religion, and government.

Also, being near the 'silk road' and all, what is the availability of fresh fruits/fish/etc.

-Rich-
zazuna

Post by zazuna »

Hi Rich,

so glad to hear that you know a lot about Central Asia. I also study history and politics, currently finishing a senior thesis on the Soviet language policies in Kazakhstan.
Now to your questions:

1. All Kazakhs are Muslim, that is to say they have mostly Muslim traditions but because they have been nomads until the early 20th century and plus because of the Soviet atheism, they are not very strict and some of their traditions are pagan. But they consider themselves Muslim. Not all, of course, some became atheists during the Soviet period. So, if around 50% of the population are Kazakhs now, one can say that the population is roughly 50% Muslim considering that some Kazakhs don't claim to be religious and also taking into account Muslim minorities such as Tatars, Uzbeks, Uighurs, Tajiks, Chechens, Afghans, etc.

2. I yet have to experience the wai diet in Kazakhstan. I am still in Bulgaria. Honestly, it will be difficult because fresh fruit are highly scarce--I can of course eat apples, tomatoes, and cucumbers every day with olive oil, but no real fruit variety. I will probably eat more dried fruit and nuts. We have better situation with fish, however, so I will go ahead and try my first raw piece of fish. Eggs are available, so no problem here. Regarding more exotic produce like avocado, oranges, bananas (one can find them, but they must be really expensive), I think I will need to wait until I come to the States in summer. I will let you know if the silk road has started working better when I get home, though. :wink:

If you have more questions or thoughts on Central Asia, feel free to e-mail me.

Cheers,
Masha
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

WOW Zazuna!
What a beautiful country! I can see why you like lakes!
There seem to be many in Kazakhstan...at least according to those pictures!

And your animal is cute!

Yeah Oscar is fast...if you give him something to find, he will! :wink:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hahaha! Yep Google is my friend. :)

Amsterdam doesn't really have lakes, though. Ponds yes, a river yes, a harbor yes, and lots of canals. Quite a bit of water all in all. ;)

The pictures of your country look great. :)

Paka zazuna!
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Wow, Zazuna - your country is very beautiful! Masha is also a pretty name:) Here are some pictures of the general area where I live in Santa Cruz, California - it was really hard to find any and these aren't a very good representation, but oh well :roll:

http://www.santacruz.org/places/county.shtml

Aww, zazunas are cute little creatures! ;)

~Amber
zazuna

Post by zazuna »

Hi all!!!

I am so happy to write you this morning, after my successful first day on the diet. I am really glad that you liked my country, I started missing it even more, well it is just one month till I go back, yuppy!

Amber, I checked out the link on Santa Cruz, it is a romantic place--most of all, I would love to visit the strawberry fields!!! of the Pajaro Valley--do visitors get to pick some berries? Yummy!

Ok, I am off to another sucessful day of Wai eating :D The fun that I have surfing this forum makes me keep going :P

Masha